Friday, November 2, 2007

Search Strategy

From: Tom
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:03 PM

Hi Win,

I'm waiting to hear from Co #1, a startup consulting firm based out of Texas. They're interested in my Salesforce.com experience as well as my Six Sigma training. There are only 12 people in New York although they plan to grow to 100 by the end of next year.

A recruiter contacted me with an opening for someone with Salesforce.com experience. Someone from Co #2 contacted me about my Salesforce.com experience as well. It seems to be the hot thing in consulting right now.

The PMP trainer put me in contact with a former student at Co #3 who is pushing my resume. Most of the opportunities are in Charlotte, NC which Sally isn't happy about.

I used LinkedIn to connect with a change manager at Co #4 who is helping me with the HR process. I'm pretty excited about the Co #4 opportunities. It sounds like a good company to work for.

I've got a contact at Co #5 in the finance department.

Sally's dad has a contact at Co #6 as well as at several hedge funds.

The Westchester One Stop Shop sends me job postings a couple of times a week.

I'm taking the PMP exam on November 1st.

I got myself some personal business cards.

Other than that I'm just responding to job board postings.

My severance package runs out this month.

Regards,

Tom


Hi Tom,

Just a few random thoughts . . .

When applying via resume, key works and readily definable terms like salesforce.com are the currency of connection. If, on the other hand, like me, your project work centers on taking an area, working with them to improve their processes and integrating that into the day-to-day process, it is more difficult to get in by resume.

Sounds like you are doing a lot of good activity. To the extent that your qualifications, e.g., six sigma & salesforce.com are where you want to go professionally, you will do well to apply to jobs. If you want to focus on project management, applying as a primary strategy is still pretty good. With project management you also have more chances of finding a PM networking group, which should broaden your options. Keep in mind that 20% of jobs are posted.

Good luck with the exam & hang in there. As you talk to people, you will get a response.

I know its not exactly where you are, but there are good networking groups through a New Canaan group www.newcanaancats.org

Take Care,

Win

Win Sheffield
www.WinSheffield.com

No comments: