Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Where is job security?

Hi Win,
I'm writing because I'm starting to get a bit concerned about my job search. I listed a few questions about my big data target, but I'm starting to wonder if this is the right career path. This might seem out of left field, but another area that I've been interested in is neuromarketing (cross section of neuroscience and marketing), which is really interesting. I spoke to someone about it today and it sounds like an area I should learn more about. 


But overall, I'm getting really considered about job security. I want something stable, but will also allow me to make some changes when necessary (once I get good at a skill/topic, I get bored very easily). I want a job that will meet various attributes for me. But first, I want to really understand what those attributes are. 
Chloe

Hi Chloe,
Don’t panic!  You are picking your targets as if you flying at 2,000 feet even though you are more or less at 50,000 feet.  From 50,000 feet, you can't tell a lot about the details of the landscape.  Yet, what interests you are the detailed techniques.  

You may pursue a number of directions.  See it for what it is, exploration, not failure.  You will  find job security in your ability to adapt to new techniques.  Your brand will be the commonalities between the threads like big data and neuromarketing and others that you are exploring.  No one technique will last long enough to provide security to you or anyone.  Being the person who uses the latest and best methods to understand consumer behavior will.  Keep using your desire not to be bored to explore.    
Win