Monday, January 6, 2014

The not so mighty resume

Mr. Sheffield, I have been to a couple of your talks at the Public Library, and just have a question I have not yet found the answer to.  I have been without a job over two years , but have consistently applied, throughout last year I may have had two interviews?  What is wrong with my resume.
Sally

Hi Sally,
I am sorry to hear you are so frustrated.  I cannot say how well your resume is suited to the jobs you are applying to.  There is another factor to take into consideration and that is the method you are using to get a job.  Applying to jobs succeeds for 1/4 or less of all job seekers.  Many more find a job by developing a deeper understanding of the workplace through networking.  A resume is simply a piece of paper.  To put all your hopes into a piece of paper conveying the value you bring and your interest in doing that job is more than a piece of paper can bear.  This is why most people do not find jobs through ads.

Consider how you can reach out to people and find out more about the areas you are interested in.  That way you can develop a network which will lead eventually to a job. 
Hope that helps,

Win